One thing that has been on the to-do list since, I don’t know, we moved in, has been to repair and paint the backyard shed. This is what it looked like when me moved in:
This is a photo taken in summer 2007…which you can only imagine how much more run-down it became over the last 4 years. We should have done something about it then, but C’s adoption took precedence that year.
SO, one day after seeing plants sprout in the rotted x-detail of the doors, Tom bought some new 2×4’s and replaced the rotting wood. After that it was up to me to paint it. Ugh. I love the first 5 minutes of painting, and then it just gets tedious. I prevailed though, and here is our “new” shed!
It looks SO MUCH better! It even hardly cost us a thing since we had enough paint left over from re-painting the house a couple of years ago. We really only had to spring for new wood. We would like to eventually re-shingle the roof as well (to match the house), but I think that is for another summer…probably in another 4 years. ;)
While I’m here I’ll also post a before and after of our house, as per the aforementioned paint job. Tom’s cousin, who used to be a professional painter, painted it for us in exchange for room and board for a few months (thanks J!). Good deal as I really don’t think I could have done it myself. Here’s the before in the vibrant barn red again…
Here’s the after where we used the paint color you saw previously on the shed…
My wonderful mom tore out the monstrous odd-looking plants in front of the porch a couple summers ago (thanks mom!), and I’ve been meaning to do something with that area. We do have some rock for it sitting on the side of the house so I need to get that going. I’m just not good at knowing what plants to put there (it’s south-facing, so they would need to be plants that love sunlight).
Anyway, that’s an update on the house and shed. Slow-going but it’s fun to see it coming along.